Monday, September 9, 2019

What does a “Bucket List Life” mean for The Amazing Linus?


When you read about the stories of bucket lists for people, you tend to hear about the extreme adventures; sky diving, mountain climbing, or running with the bulls. Although not quite as extreme for animals, the thoughts still go to beach adventures, camping, hiking and the like.  What does that mean when you have adopted a senior dog?

My little man, Linus, is overweight, slightly broken, has very few teeth left and is riddled with arthritis.  While I would love to imagine taking him on beach adventures, hiking in the mountains or taking him on a food tour of the South; the fact is, he cannot do many of those things, because they just wouldn’t be comfortable for him. So, I have spent a week getting to know this kind gentleman and seeing what brings him the most joy in life. After all, isn’t that what a bucket list is for?

Linus appears to be the happiest when he has his pack around him.  I may be busy working and he may be sleeping, but every so often he will lift his head, look my way and give me a tail wag before putting his head back down for the rest of his nap. Ok, listing is starting: 1. Unlimited Naps 2. Time with my human pack.

Linus loves exploring and smelling new smells. We go on “bimbles” (a new term I have learned from my UK friends, which means a “a relaxed, easy stroll around”) each morning and evening.  We don’t walk too far, so as not to cause him pain, but just far enough that it keeps his joints loose and allows him to explore. He discovered yesterday that the human grandparents have a fenced backyard that is filled with differing terrain and places to explore and sniff.  He even found a dead chipmunk, he was not allowed to eat it, but finding it gave him joy. The list continues to grow: 3. Endless exploration.

Linus can’t get enough kisses, hugs and “scritches” (just like scratches, but more fun) he will come up to you, stick his little head under your hand and show you how, if you need instructions.  He has even tried to give himself butt scritches by rubbing under the coffee table; I have tried to capture this on video, but he is sneaky and stops as soon as the video starts rolling. Well, this is easy to add to the list:  4.  Bottomless Kisses and Hugs. 5. Boundless scritches.

Linus is also heavily food motivated. This is a challenge because he is also overweight, which is horrible for his arthritis. I try to balance, if I know there is a treat coming, I may reduce his food for breakfast, so he can have a treat in the afternoon. We may go for an additional bimble if he feels up to it, so he can have a little treat after dinner.  I read blogs and consult Twitter for the best recipes for healthy snacks and experiment with him on what he likes, what he can chew, and what makes that curly little tail wag the most.  This list just gets bigger by the minute:  6. Snackies!

For now, this Linus’ bucket list:
  1. Unlimited naps
  2. Time with his human pack
  3. Endless explorations
  4. Bottomless kisses and hugs
  5. Boundless scritches
  6. Snackies

Will this list grow as we get to know each other more? Yes. Will this list grow as he becomes more capable of doing more things? Yes.  Am I willing to carry him a ½ mile to get to a beach where he can dip his toes in the water, to say he has been to the beach? Hell yes!  He is my little man and I will give him the world.  This the start of a great adventure my Amazing Linus!

2 comments:

  1. You are a fabulous dog mama. Please hug Linus for me and let him know he has supporter in Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel this list would suit me just fine too.

    ReplyDelete