Saturday, September 7, 2019

Why we adopted a senior dog


I have received many questions or statements about our choice to adopt a senior dog. Why?  He is only going to live a few years if you are lucky, why put your heart through that? Do you know how expensive it is to have a senior dog? They don’t play or love you like a puppy.  You can’t train them, you know the old saying, “you can’t teach an old dog a new trick.”

My thoughts? You never know how much time you will have with any animal.   I have had friends and family who have brought animals into their lives who have only lived a few years; you aren’t given a promised timeline when you bring an animal into your life.  I feel strongly that It is not the amount of time you have with the animal; it is the quality of time you have with them. I have been fortunate enough to adopt several animals in my lifetime, some were with me 23 years (yes, there was a cat!) and some have been with me only a few years. The length of time they were with me did not reflect how much my heart hurt when they were gone, each one took a piece of my heart with them. I am someone who loves quickly with animals; I am the person on Twitter who has fallen in love with everyone else’s dogs, even though I haven’t met them. It is just who I am.

It can be expensive to take on a senior pet. We knew this going into it and we prepared for it. I have had young animals in my life who were equally expensive. I could tell the story of what my father called, “The Golden Kitty.” This cat, although golden in color, was not called this because of how he looked; he was called this because he was riddled with health problems from an early age. Each time we would take him to the vet, my father would say that I needed to prepare for the worst, and each time the vet would say, “No, I think we can surgically fix this and he will do well, it’s not time to let him go yet.” My father would sigh, look into my big brown eyes filled with tears and pull out his checkbook. Most times when you adopt a senior animal, they have been seen by vets, you know what you are getting into before you start, so you can know if it is something that you can afford.

As far as playing and teaching senior animals, it all depends on the animal.  I have had young dogs come into my care that didn’t know how to play or perform basic obedience skills, but they blossomed into playful, well-behaved pups in no time.  On the flip side of this coin, I have found that most senior animals like routine and with that they become trained to do new tricks you didn’t even think you wanted to teach them.  For example, sweet Linus has learned in less than a week to sit, then lie down to accept his meals.  These are skills I have taught him. However, what I didn’t teach him but what he does anyway, is moving his arms out to accept the bowl when he is ready to eat; so in that way, he has trained me to know when he is ready and comfortable to put the food bowl down.  Young or old, each animal develops their own personality and skills to live their best life with their families.

I think that when you are ready to bring an animal into your life, the animal that is meant to be yours will make themselves known. Did I have my heart set somewhat on a Golden Retriever puppy? Yes. Was it the right time for our family? No. Did I then search for senior Goldens to rescue? Yes. Did I find one to bring into our home? No. What came to me, when I was ready, was a sweet old man who is overflowing with love.  He isn’t a Golden, he isn’t young. He is deaf, he is somewhat broken; but he is my little man and he has searched my heart for the piece that was meant for him and he has settled in.  Whether he is with us for six months or six years, that piece of my heart is his and will cross with him over the rainbow bridge when he is ready, and I will be better for knowing him.

I plan on holding Linus’ paw through this adventure that is his life from this day forward. I plan to love him with everything in my heart.  I plan to take care of him for as long as he needs, and when he is tired and cannot go on, I plan to hold him close so he can feel my heartbeat until he takes his last breath. I will whisper into his deaf ears how much he was loved, what a wonderful boy he was, and how the field across the rainbow bridge is filled with butterflies to chase, never-ending food bowls, and a body that does not feel pain.  I will cry and then I will find my place again, holding onto the cherished memories he provided, and I will learn to love another animal again; because he would want it to be that way.

And that is why I have adopted a senior dog and I am glad that we did.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for your elegant words... so many people do not understand how and why we love πŸ•πŸ•πŸΎπŸΎπŸˆπŸˆπŸ°πŸ¨πŸ­πŸ”πŸ’ like we do...they all deserve love and a home and family to love and care for them. I wish I could take them all in, wish I had barns, large piece of property where they all could roam and love and be loved and taken care if!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this beautiful post. My dog, Max, @Maxthestyleicon and also on blogger, was 5 and missing several teeth when we adopted him. He still acts like a puppy, but we know that he will be aging before our eyes much more quickly than our younger dogs did. Love your attitude on love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! Amazing words put together to perfectly tell why. I'm planning to adopt a senior and really like how you put this. The pain in my heart will be worth it for a dog to know real love!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an amazing and inspiring piece. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete